Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Fields - Everything Last Winter

I like it when a band is from funny places. They usually make really cool and weird music like what SyStEm Of A dOwN did and what all the iceland people do. Fields are like a wierd combination of iceland people and cockney geezers, I think. I hope the iceland person is the chick. Women from iceland are kinky and have good sex. Bjork told me.

What ends up happening with this combination is that they make some good songs. They sound kind of like a more exciting Arcade Fire crossed with some more simple Sigur Ros songs moving fast with some violiny bits in, and some whispy vocals that you can tell are from iceland and some pretty cool heavy guitar stuff by the cockneys. It sounds a bit like Mew sometimes. You can't tell that they share a producer with MARILYN MANSON because they are a lot better than that bisexual cockgobbler and sound totally different, thankfully.

This album is really good at the start. There is a song called "Song For The Fields" that's amazing. I don't know why it's called that. It should be called "Song From The Fields", which would be very descriptive. The next song is called "Charming The FlAmEs" and it, too, is really good. The problem from the third track until the amazing ninth isthatthewholealbumseemsto fadeintooneanditgetsincreasinglyand frustratingly difficulttotellthedifferencebetweenthetracks andtorememberwhatwaswhat whenitsfinished. It all seemingly runs into one. That's not to say it's particularly bad, which it isn't.
It just plateaus a bit in the middle I'm afraid. Or whatever a plateau is called when it's lower than what is around it. A basin? I've done a Geography degree and I don't know.

Track nine, though, is amazing. It's called "If You Fail We All Fail", and it's been on EPs and stuff. If you don't like that track, don't buy this album. I really like it though, so I bought this album. And I'm not disappointed with my decision. What I am disappointed about is not being blown away by this in the same way that I was blown away by the quality of their Reading set.

I don't think this is the last we'll hear of Fields, because they are good.

8/10

No comments: